Friday, September 24, 2010

Books to bring over the Atlantic

I just moved from Sweden to Florida, and finally starting to feel settled in enough to write a blog post. The worst part of moving was choosing which books to bring. I filled my carry on with books. Unfortunately I couldn't just pick my favorites - I had to go with the lightest ones. It ended up being quite a random list.


  • The Salmon of Doubt by Douglas Adams - a lovely collection of essays.
  • Poem collection by Swedish poet Dan Andersson - I've never so much as looked at it before, but now I did, and I really liked it, so I couldn't leave it behind.
  • Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen - because I was reading it at the time. I finished it on the plane and will post my thoughts on it soon.
  • Literary Theory, A Very Short Introduction by Jonathan Culler. It's a mystery why I brought this. It is tiny, that is it.
  • Three anthologies of European poetry - The Romantic Era, From Three Centuries and Between the Romantic Era and WWI. The poems are presented in their original languages and with a literal translation (to Swedish). They're part of a great series of 18 books, stretching from Ancient Greece to the aforementioned poetry collections. I own them all, but there was no way to bring them.
  • Konsten att läsa tankar by Henrik Fexeus. The art of thought reading. I haven't read it yet, and it's probably stupid, but seemed interesting enough.
  • Madame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert. Of course!
  • Big Sur, Vanity of Duluoz and On the Road by Jack Kerouac. The two former because I haven't read them yet, the latter because it's my lucky travel charm.
  • In His Own Write by John Lennon - because my Lennon biographies were too big to bring (it hurts a bit to think about it), and well, I love it.
  • Love in the Time of Cholera by Gabriel Garcia Marquez - because I recently read it and want to convince my fiancé to read it too.
  • The Autumn of the Patriarch by Marquez as well, because I bought it in a second hand book store many years ago and completely forgot about it, that is I've never read it. Plus it's small. 
  • Essays by Montaigne. I've only read a few of them, but loved them and been intending to read more for quite a few years now. 
  • The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry - in Japanese. For refreshing my knowledge of said language. 
  • The Madwoman in the Attic by Sandra Gilbert and Susan Gubar. Very important work about the tradition of female writers, aka another book I haven't got around to reading yet.
  • The Red Room by August Strindberg. Instead of bringing a Swedish flag... and because I want to reread it.

That's it. I'm trying not to think of the lonely books in the attic back home. But I can't believe I didn't get a single Dostoevsky with me. They were just too thick and heavy. Oh well... it's not as if I'll actually be missing those books, it was just depressing to pack them away. Now I'll just have to try not to assemble a big collection here, to avoid going through the same thing the next time I move to a new country.

No comments:

Post a Comment